This is stated in a video address by Press Attaché of the U.S. Embassy in Ukraine, Daniel Langenkamp, posted on Twitter July 31.
Today we mark the three-year anniversary of the attack on civil rights and anti-corruption activist Kateryna Handziuk, who gave her life fighting for a democratic and prosperous Ukraine. We continue to stand with the Ukrainian people in demanding justice for #Handziuk. pic.twitter.com/WsIFoD4uQH— U.S. Embassy Kyiv (@USEmbassyKyiv) July 31, 2021
"Three years ago, Kateryna Handziuk, a prominent public activist, was brutally attacked. Kateryna Handziuk, her family, friends, and all Ukrainians fighting for a better future deserve answers. We call on the authorities to bring her killers to justice," Langenkamp said.
He stressed that the memory of Handziuk will forever remain in civil society, which is an important part of "pro-active, successful, and democratic Ukraine."
"We continue to support the Ukrainian people in their demand for justice for Handziuk," the press attaché said.
Handziuk murder: Background
- On July 31, 2018, activist Kateryna Handziuk was doused in sulfuric acid near the entrance to her house in Kherson. She sustained burns to 40% of her body. Handziuk underwent several surgeries but died on November 4 of the same year.
- Five were detained on suspicion of conspiracy in Handziuk's murder. Ihor Pavlovsky, a former aide to MP Mykola Palamarchuk, was arrested on November 12, 2018.
- On February 11, 2019, the Prosecutor General's Office charged Manher with organizing Handziuk's murder. After initially allowing Manher to be bailed out for UAH 2,497,300, the court later ruled to remain him in custody with no right to bail.
- On June 6, 2019, five immediate perpetrators of the attack were sentenced to prison terms of three to six-and-a-half years.
- In January 2020, Oleksiy Levin was detained in Bulgaria for organizing the acid attack on Handziuk.
- On March 16, Levin was extradited to Ukraine. According to investigators, Levin is a key figure who coordinated other co-conspirators and those who ordered the attack. He is suspected of masterminding the crime, inciting others to commit it, and providing culprits with information about Handziuk's location.
- On July 28, 2020, the prosecutor's office indicted Manher and Levin for organizing the attack on Handziuk.
- On July 1, 2021, Kyiv's Dniprovskyi District Court left Manher and Levin in custody for another two months.
Let’s get started read our news at facebook messenger > > > Click here for subscribe