Zelensky calls decision to allow Russian, Belarusian athletes into Paralympics 'dirty'

Zelensky calls decision to allow Russian, Belarusian athletes into Paralympics 'dirty'

Ukrinform
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has described as "dirty" the decision by the International Paralympic Committee to allow Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete at the 2026 Winter Paralympics under their national flags.

That is according to an excerpt of his conversation with British journalist Piers Morgan, published on X, Ukrinform reports.

"I don't want to say that it's about money because I don't know. But it's a dirty decision, absolutely, not respectable. And not European, I mean, from the point of values. I think this is an awful decision, absolutely, and not a just decision," he said, clarifying that he was referring to Europe in terms of values.

He acknowledged that he had not previously been aware of the IPC's decision regarding Russian and Belarusian athletes, and added that Ukraine would respond.

Read also: Estonian FM calls participation of Russian, Belarusian athletes in Paralympics a disgrace

Zelensky also compared Russia's approach to international sports with the gradual escalation of its aggression against Ukraine.

"It is like the Russian way of life: how they started this aggression – creeping occupation. A bit of Crimea. No one responded? No one pushed back? Fine – Donbas. No one responded? No one imposes sanctions? Fine – full-scale invasion. Step by step – the Russian way of life. The same with the Olympic Games," he said.

Earlier, the International Paralympic Committee announced that six Russian and four Belarusian athletes would be allowed to compete at the 2026 Winter Paralympics in Milan-Cortina under their national flags.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha instructed Ukrainian ambassadors to urge host governments not to participate in the Paralympics opening ceremony if the decision to allow the aggressor states' flags is not reversed.

The Association of Ukrainians in Great Britain (AUGB) has also sent an official letter to the International Paralympic Committee and the Milan-Cortina 2026 Organizing Committee following the decision to permit Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags at the 2026 Winter Paralympics.

While citing and using any materials on the Internet, links to the website ukrinform.net not lower than the first paragraph are mandatory. In addition, citing the translated materials of foreign media outlets is possible only if there is a link to the website ukrinform.net and the website of a foreign media outlet. Materials marked as "Advertisement" or with a disclaimer reading "The material has been posted in accordance with Part 3 of Article 9 of the Law of Ukraine "On Advertising" No. 270/96-VR of July 3, 1996 and the Law of Ukraine "On the Media" No. 2849-Х of March 31, 2023 and on the basis of an agreement/invoice.

Online media entity; Media identifier - R40-01421.

© 2015-2026 Ukrinform. All rights reserved.

Extended searchHide extended search
By period:
-