
EU strongly condemns Russian aggression and calls for free passage in Sea of Azov
The EU Delegation said this in a statement on “Russia’s Ongoing Aggression against Ukraine and Illegal Occupation of Crimea” at a meeting of the OSCE Permanent Council in Vienna on November 21, an Ukrinform correspondent reports.
“We note the return by Russia earlier this week of the three Ukrainian vessels seized in the Black Sea almost a year ago in an act of unjustified use of force near the Kerch Strait. These vessels should have never been seized in the first place. Their return was long overdue, in particular in the light of the binding order of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea. We remain consistent and persistent in our calls on Russia to ensure unhindered and free passage to and from the Sea of Azov in accordance with international law," the statement reads.
The EU recalls its unwavering support to the sovereignty, territorial integrity, unity and independence of Ukraine within its internationally recognised borders, and calls upon Russia to do likewise.
“We urge Russia to uphold these fundamental principles that it has itself invoked many times and to contribute, by acts and public pronouncements, to stabilising the situation and reversing moves that contravene these principles. We strongly condemn the clear violation of Ukrainian sovereignty and territorial integrity by acts of aggression by the Russian armed forces since February 2014 and the illegal annexation of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of Sevastopol to the Russian Federation, which we will not recognise. The European Union will remain committed to fully implement its non-recognition policy, including through restrictive measures," the EU notes.
As reported, on November 25, 2018, Russian border guards fired on and seized three Ukrainian Navy ships, the Berdyansk, the Nikopol, and the Yany Kapu, heading from Odesa to Mariupol, near the Kerch Strait. In addition, their crewmembers, 24 Ukrainian sailors, were captured. Three of them were wounded. A Russian-controlled court in the occupied Crimea arrested the detained Ukrainian sailors on charges of alleged illegal border crossing.
On May 25, 2019, the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea ordered Russia to immediately release 24 seamen and three ships and allow them to return to Ukraine.
On September 7, Ukraine and Russia exchanged detainees in the 35-for-35 format. Twenty-four Ukrainian seamen returned home as part of the exchange.
On November 18, 2019, the process of returning the Ukrainian ships was initiated in the Black Sea. Their handover took place in neutral waters.
On November 19, the Ukrainian Navy headquarters told Ukrinform that the ships would be subjected to examination after returning to the base of the national military fleet.
ish