UN Refugee Agency loses USD 1M in humanitarian aid after Russian strike on Dnipro

UN Refugee Agency loses USD 1M in humanitarian aid after Russian strike on Dnipro

photos
Ukrinform
The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) lost humanitarian aid worth $1 million after a Russian missile struck one of its warehouses in the city of Dnipro.

UNHCR representative in Ukraine Bernadette Castel-Hollingsworth told Reuters about the incident, Ukrinform reports.

According to Castel-Hollingsworth, the warehouse, which stored materials for temporary shelters, including sleeping mats and hygiene kits, was destroyed during a Russian attack on Wednesday. Two people were killed and several others were injured.

1 / 8

According to UNHCR, the supplies were intended for distribution among displaced people and war-affected residents in frontline regions of Ukraine.

"It is significant for us, because it is the first time that a UNHCR facility is being targeted or attacked," Castel-Hollingworth said.

UNHCR stated that the attack is part of a broader pattern of strikes against humanitarian convoys.

The UN noted that on May 20, a Russian missile struck a warehouse rented by UNHCR in Dnipro. The attack destroyed around 900 pallets of essential relief items and temporary shelter materials worth more than $1 million.

According to UNHCR, nearly 47,000 evacuees have passed through its transit centers since the beginning of 2026. Many of them belong to vulnerable groups, including elderly people and individuals with limited mobility or disabilities.

According to data from the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine, at least 815 Ukrainian civilians were killed and 4,174 injured during the first four months of this year – a 21% increase compared to the same period last year.

“The repeated attacks against humanitarians on duty are a clear violation of international law. Civilians and humanitarians must never be targets,” UNHCR stressed.

Read also: Ukraine seeking to keep international focus on return of children – Betsa

As reported by Ukrinform, last week two UN humanitarian convoys were attacked by Russian drones: one truck was delivering aid in the Dnipropetrovsk region, while another convoy came under attack in the Kherson regiont.

UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Tom Fletcher stressed that attacks on humanitarian convoys, such as those carried out by Russia during the latest strikes on Ukraine, are unacceptable.

While citing and using any materials on the Internet, links to the website ukrinform.net not lower than the first paragraph are mandatory. In addition, citing the translated materials of foreign media outlets is possible only if there is a link to the website ukrinform.net and the website of a foreign media outlet. Materials marked as "Advertisement" or with a disclaimer reading "The material has been posted in accordance with Part 3 of Article 9 of the Law of Ukraine "On Advertising" No. 270/96-VR of July 3, 1996 and the Law of Ukraine "On the Media" No. 2849-Х of March 31, 2023 and on the basis of an agreement/invoice.

Online media entity; Media identifier - R40-01421.

© 2015-2026 Ukrinform. All rights reserved.

Extended searchHide extended search
By period:
-