7th anniversary of Revolution of Dignity: first Heroes of Heavenly Hundred killed on this day

7th anniversary of Revolution of Dignity: first Heroes of Heavenly Hundred killed on this day

On January 22, 2014, the Revolution of Dignity suffered the first casualties who will later be called the Heroes of the Heavenly Hundred.

Clashes on Hrushevskoho Street began on January 19, when the traditional Sunday viche [public assembly] grew into a march of protesters to the Verkhovna Rada. The entrance to the government quarter was blocked by the Berkut riot police officers. A serious confrontation began: Euromaidan protesters overturned buses used by police, threw bottles filled with gasoline and cobblestones at Berkut officers. Tires were set on fire to fill the streets with smoke; overturned buses began to burn. In response, Berkut officers used tear gas and traumatic weapons, threw flash-bang grenades and then used water cannons against protesters.

The clashes on Hrushevskoho Street, which lasted with varying activity for more than two days, ended on January 21 when the clergy took to the streets. Standing between Euromaidan activists and law enforcement officers, they began to pray, calling on the parties to end the conflict and repent. Thus, changing each other, the priests managed to keep the opposite sides from violent confrontation over the period of 24 hours.

However, the next morning, January 22, the Berkut riot police officers went on the offensive and pushed the protesters away from the Yevropeiska Square for a while.

On that day it became known about the first people who were killed during the Euromaidan protests. On the morning of January 22, 21-year-old Serhiy Nihoyan from Dnipropetrovsk region received a fatal wound to a head. Later, 25-year-old Belarusian Mikhail Zhyznevski received a fatal cardiac gunshot wound. Both men were Euromaidan activists and took part in the protests from the very beginning.

On the same day, a body of Yuri Verbytskyi, a Euromaidan activist from Lviv, was found with traces of torture in a forest near Kyiv. He had been abducted by unknown individuals from the hospital the day before.

Roman Senyk and Oleksandr Badera were wounded and died in hospitals over the next week.


Let’s get started read our news at facebook messenger > > > Click here for subscribe

While citing and using any materials on the Internet, links to the website ukrinform.net not lower than the first paragraph are mandatory. In addition, citing the translated materials of foreign media outlets is possible only if there is a link to the website ukrinform.net and to the website of a foreign media outlet. Citing and using materials in offline media, mobile apps, Smart TV are allowed only with written permission from Ukrinform. News and publications marked as "Advertisement" and "PR" and articles in the section "Releases" include promoted content, and an advertiser is responsible for the content.

© 2015-2021 Ukrinform. All rights reserved.

Website design Studio Laconica

Extended searchHide extended search
By period: