Almost half of Ukrainians against 'free economic zone' in Donbas

Almost half of Ukrainians against 'free economic zone' in Donbas

survey
Ukrinform
Forty-five percent of Ukrainians do not support the idea of granting the status of a "free economic zone" to Donetsk and Luhansk regions, while 33.5% approve of such an initiative, according to a survey conducted by the Kyiv International Institute of Sociology (KIIS).

Some 20.5% of respondents refused to answer.

In Ukraine's western regions, 27.1% support the initiative and 53.1% do not support it. In the center of Ukraine, 28.1% support the initiative and 50.1% are against it. In the southern regions, 37.1% support the initiative and 32.7% do not support it. In the eastern regions (including Donbas), 45.8% back the initiative and 35.5% are against it.

In addition, when asked what a "free economic zone" means, 32% of respondents said they could not answer. The remaining 68% gave answers that, on the one hand, demonstrate the diversity of understanding of the "free economic zone." On the other hand, many of the respondents' answers rather indicate a lack of a properly informed understanding of what exactly is at stake, sociologists said.

Respondents were also divided on whether a poll initiated by President Volodymyr Zelensky on the day of local elections was his sincere intention to hear the opinion of most people or whether it was a political technology aimed at achieving his own goals. In particular, 44% believe that this is a sincere intention, whereas 44% consider it a political technology.

At the same time, 54.6% of respondents said they intended to take part in such a "poll" on election day, whereas 35.8% said they would not participate in the poll.

The survey was conducted from October 17 to October 19, 2020 via CATI (computer-assisted telephone interviews) based on a random sample of mobile phone numbers. The sample did not include territories that are temporarily not controlled by the Ukrainian authorities - the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and some districts of Donetsk and Luhansk regions. Some 505 interviews were conducted during the survey. The survey's margin of error does not exceed 4.5% for figures close to 50%, 3.9% for figures close to 25%, and 2.7% for figures close to 10%.

op


Let’s get started read our news at facebook messenger > > > Click here for subscribe

While citing and using any materials on the Internet, links to the website ukrinform.net not lower than the first paragraph are mandatory. In addition, citing the translated materials of foreign media outlets is possible only if there is a link to the website ukrinform.net and to the website of a foreign media outlet. Citing and using materials in offline media, mobile apps, Smart TV are allowed only with written permission from Ukrinform. News and publications marked as "Advertisement" and "PR" and articles in the section "Releases" include promoted content, and an advertiser is responsible for the content.

© 2015-2020 Ukrinform. All rights reserved.

Website design Studio Laconica

Extended searchHide extended search
By period:
-