"Mariupol has been under siege since March 1. Currently, our troops still hold the city, but partially. The enemy has partially entrenched in the town. When we counted its forces about a week ago, it was about 14,000 Russian servicemen of so-called ‘LPR/DPR’ and mercenaries such as Chechens who are fighting on Instagram, and battalions of private military company. At the moment, our forces continue to destroy the enemy. Every day, the enemy loses up to four tanks, or sometimes even more, and a platoon or a company of soldiers," Chief of Staff of the Azov Regiment, Captain Bohdan Krotevych, said on the air of Belsat TV, Ukrinform reports.
He reminded that Ukrainian troops had been defending the town for a month now, and the fighting spirit of the soldiers remains high.
Krotevych noted that he had seen a lot in the war as a soldier, but the crimes committed by Russian invaders were absolutely horrible.
As reported, Azov Regiment commander Denys Prokopenko did not evacuate anywhere and continues to defend Mariupol, which has been blocked by Russian invaders.
Mariupol suffers one of the biggest humanitarian catastrophes caused by Russian aggression. The invaders bomb unarmed residents and block the delivery of humanitarian aid. According to Mariupol Mayor Vadym Boychenko, the number of civilian casualties in Mariupol was about 5,000, including about 210 children, as of March 27. About 160,000 civilians now stay in Mariupol, currently blocked by Russian invaders.
Russian troops turned Mariupol into a huge ruin. Residents faint from hunger in the streets, and enemy bombs are burying them alive in bomb shelters.
Deputy Prime Minister – Minister for Reintegration of the Temporarily Occupied Territories of Ukraine Iryna Vereshchuk said that Russian troops had almost destroyed the city, so it is necessary to evacuate all civilians.